Monday, November 28, 2011

Gladys Knight and Earth Wind & Fire Honored at 2011 Soul Train Awards!


I was happy to see legendary music pioneers Gladys Knight and Earth, Wind & Fire honored at this year's Soul Train Awards hosted by Cedric the Entertainer which aired last night on BET.  Although Soul Train is no longer relevant today as it was 40 years ago, it is has been a big part of music history. Rapper Heavy D was also honored in light of his untimely passing a few weeks ago. Check out the videos of the musical tributes after the jump!

Gladys Knight Tribute Performance


Gladys Knight's tribute started off with Tamar Braxton (no, not Toni) with Dave Hollister, Kenny Lattimore, and Freddie Jackson as the honorary Pips. There were also performances by Chrisette Michelle, Marsha Ambrosius, Mary Mary & Natalie Cole who ended the tribute. This was lackluster to me and I was surprised to see Jill Scott in the audience instead of being onstage. And where were Angie Stone, Ledisi, Yolanda Adams, Kim Burrell, or Rachel Ferrell? You can't let just anybody sing a Gladys Knight song. I'm just saying...

She accepted her award by saying, "I have received awards over the years and I am grateful for every single one of them. But let me tell you something,. This one right here is the closest to my heart because it comes from my people. ... You're telling the world that I passed this way and I did something that was alright."


Earth, Wind & Fire Tribute Performance

Eric Benet falsetto voice was the highlight of the EWF tribute. He, along with Robin Thicke and Joe sang their 
rendition of "Reasons".  Other singers included Miguel, Musiq Soulchild, Lalah Hathaway, Booty Collins, and Stokely from Mint Condition.


Heavy D Tribute Performance

Doug E. Fresh, Goodie Mobb, Naughty by Nature, Whodini, Big Daddy Kane & Kurtis Blow all came together on one stage to honor late rapper Heavy "The Overweight Lover" D. It's so crazy how he just graced the stage himself a few months ago in his last performance. I'm so thankful that a new generation of kids were able to be introduced to his music before his passing. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment